Sheep farmers in Mayo have an office in Ballinrobe to cater for the needs of three different sheep groups that have been in existence over the past number of years.
South Mayo Lamb Producer Group, Mayo Mule and Greyface Group and Mayo Blackface Group have formed an umbrella called Mayo Sheep Producers.
Mayo Mountain Blackface Sheep
To promote the Mayo Mountain Blackface breed as a purebred ewe and as a dam for producing crossbred and purebred replacements for hill and lowland farmers.
Mayo Mule and Grey Face Sheep
The group was set up by the Department of Agriculture and Teagasc over 20 years ago with the aim being to produce a prolific ewe to sell to lowland breeders. In the past 25 years the group has been going from strength to strength.
South Mayo Lamb Producers
Group of lowland sheep producers selling French lamb contracted to a local meat processor.
Articles of Interest
Download the following MSWord documents:
- Mayo Mountain Blackface AGM - Breeding goals
- Challenging times for hill sheep producers
- Prolific ewes for lowland breeders
- Creating new structures to re-energise the sheep industry
- Grass and breeding - the key to profitable sheep management